The Lord bless you and keep you! The Lord let His face shine upon you, and be gracious to you! The Lord look kindly upon you and give you His peace!

-Numbers 6: 24-26

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Brotherly love


The moment we found out that our second baby was going to be a boy, I remember being very excited, mostly for Enriquito because he would have a brother. But I think this excitement stemmed from having witnessed Enrique (my husband) and Gerardo's (his brother) deep love for each other. Those two have something very special, something so special that I consider it such a blessing to be around them when they are together. And so even though we received much advice not to name our second child Gerardo, because it would be too confusing at family gatherings, (especially if Gerardo had a son someday and he named him Gerardo), and even though I personally was not too fond of the name Gerardo (nobody can pronounce it), we went ahead and named our second son Gerardo....simply because of that special relationship that exists between my husband and his brother....I so desire it for my boys.

This afternoon as I was laying down with Enriquito for his nap, Gerardito was in the next room ...and he started to cry. Enriquito heard him and with concern on his face said to me, "Pobrecito, Palito." I then asked Enriquito if I should leave him there in the bed by himself, in order for me to go be with Palito (Enriquito does not like for me to leave him in the bed by himself)..and he said yes. When I asked him why he said, "Quieres mucho a Palito." And I asked him (in order to clarify that he wasn't talking about me), "Quien, mijo...quien quiere mucho a Palito?" And Enriquito responds, "Wuchis....Wuchis quieres mucho a Palito".
My heart smiled. My 2 year old was sacrificing his mommy time in bed for his crying brother...he couldn't stand for his brother to be sad.

And so I realize that it has begun...this special brotherly love....and I pray that it only grows with time and that the good God allows me to witness it on many more occasions. And thank you, Enrique and Gerardo, for being such great examples of what it means to love your brother...my sons are truly blessed to have these great men to look up to.

4 comments:

Roxanna said...

Hay Vero, que bonito! No hay duda que Enriquito y Palito van a ser un ejemplo para todos sus primitos (si Dios quiere). =)

jadeast said...

Vero no se si te llego un comentario mio porque se me dificulta tanta modernidad pero eres una inspiracion para mi,todo lo que escribes esta lleno de algo tan especial como la paz de Dios, besos a la familia y a ti mi cariƱo

Devin Rose said...

The picture of Enriquito and Palito is so cute! How well loved they are by you for Enriquito to be sacrificing for love of his brother when he is just a little toddler.

adriana said...

Hello Vero, me encantan todas las fotos de los hermanitos!! estan hermosos y se nota el gran amor en la familia, felicidades!
saludos, los quieroo.. byebye