In the middle of the night , Enriquito woke up very thirsty. "Mami, quieres agua" his little parched voice cried out (he doesn't quite have the whole concept of conjugating verbs down yet). Needless to say, I was half asleep but I recognized that his thirst was not going to go away with a little pat on the back and a hopeful, "I'll get you some in the morning". So I made my way downstairs, hoping that I wouldn't miss a step and end up face down at the bottom of the stairs (because that
has happened in the past). I made it down safely, poored some bottled water into his little cup, put the lid on and was on my way back upstairs, when a Scipture verse came to my head, "Whosoever gives only a cup of cold water to one of these little ones to drink..." I had no clue how the verse finished, but it was enough to make me stop, turn around and go over to the freezer and pop out a couple of ice cubes from the ice cube tray and put them into the little guy's cup. All I could think of was watching Mother Angelica on
EWTN commenting on the passage about the cold water. She was reflecting on the significance of the water being cold because back in the day they didn't have those little ice cube trays...she said that in order for someone to get the cooler water they had to get the water from way down deep in the well, which of course required more work, just a bit more sacrifice. Hmm.
I made it back upstairs and there he was, poor thing, waiting anxiously for his water. I watched him drink and as I heard every gulp go down his little throat, I was filled with such a gratefulness...I was grateful to God for allowing me to fulfill such a simple need for my child. I realized in that moment that there are many children and parents that do not have access to clean water, much less cold water...how much I take for granted.
So this morning, I wanted to look up the passage from Scipture to find out just how it ended, and Jesus says, "Whosoever gives only a cup of cold water to one of these little ones to drink because he is a disciple----amen, I say to you, he will surely not lose his reward." --Matthew 10:42
I'm not too sure what reward the good Lord is talking about, nor does it really concern me...He is my greatest reward, I know He is always with me, and that is good enough for me.
1 comment:
Wow, beautiful imagery to think about when I'm asked for milk or water in the middle of the night. You are a wonderful mami and friend...we miss you so!
Post a Comment