...woke me up, as she does sometimes, half way through my nap, with the sweetest request to help her express some thoughts regarding this great article she ran across while reading another blog. As I listened to her and read the article (with a "why did you wake me up" face), I thought to myself...what a wonderful wife I have. So with this introduction, I encourage you to read the article followed by these bits and pieces of the discussion Veronica and I shared on the world's often unfortunate view of children these days...
Veronica's favorite part of the article? The end of the article... where the author's chastisement quickly fades as he brings to life the blessings of his children and his tone is refreshingly replaced by a warmness and child-loving fatherhood irresistibly attractive to my wife.
Enrique's favorite parts of the article? Two parts actually... the beginning, where the author takes off the gloves and gets down and dirty unwilling to let pretenses stand (pretenses don't get you very far in an engineer's world); and the end of course, where the author ties the relationship between a child-loving husband and his fun relationship with his wife.
Only two? Interestingly enough, the twist that brought our family over to the Middle East has revealed to Veronica and I unbelievable contrasts in American and Middle Eastern society and culture regarding children. It is quite common, during informal introductions to colleagues of Middle Eastern descent, to inquire as to the number of children in each other's families. On more than one occasion, after answering the question "two", I get the reply "only two?". I'll bet you don't get that response in the good 'ole US of A. Maybe more like "boy and a girl?"
Picture this...another striking contrast. City Center Mall in Doha, Qatar (much like your typical American mall - but the locals are very very fully dressed and covered). Food court. Veronica and I strolling around, Palito swinging in Veronica's baby carrier and Wuchis sitting on my shoulders. And along comes a typical "20" year old hip Middle Eastern, faddish jeans, sun glasses, slick hair and all. Upon seeing the kids, he does a 60-to-zero in 5.2 and is all over Enriquito. Oh, and the sweaty Lebanese worker behind the shwarma (tacos) counter...20 feet away...is doing everything he can to get Palito's attention. Whoa. Refreshing.
Final contrast. The interesting Jewish author of this article would likely not have felt very comfortable meandering the malls here Qatar, for obvious reasons, however he shares something very precious with them. Interesting?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
WOW!
Me encanto el articulo. Que bonito se a de sentir que alla te contesten "Nadamas dos?" jaja...eso jamas escucharias aca.
Vero, que bueno que despertaste a Enrique! Valio la pena =)
Oigan...pero no se vayan a querer quedar alla a vivir para siempre nadamas por eso eeeeeeeeeh! Aca los extranamos.
What a great article! Thank you for the link. It's kind of comforting to know that there are people other than Catholics in this world who also appreciate the gift of children. I love finding common ground with other faiths rather than focusing on are differences.
Post a Comment